Sunday, May 1, 2011

Cure for "The Crunchies"

As individuals who enjoy eating, we are often driven by texture as much as taste (smell’s in there too, but that’s a separate discussion). Unlike most people who get the “munchies,” I get the “crunchies” and head to my kitchen in search of crunchy goodness that won’t jack up my tummy. That’s probably why I love fresh cucumbers. Now, cucumbers can be as juicy as they are crisp, which is awesome, but when they get gooshy inside, the deal’s off for me. Can’t tolerate gooshy anything--it is my arch enemy of textures. Just ask the kids who’d threaten to touch me with a worm or chase me with those nasty toy Sticky Hands. I’d run and scream as if Jason Voorhees were gaining ground on me (the most recent incident just last year, and let’s just say I’m well-seasoned chronologically). But I discovered recently that fresh-grown cukes don’t go gooshy, at least not right away like the store-bought ones.

Jerry and I grew cucumbers in our garden last year and they were nothing like what I’d been paying good duckets for all these year. Firm, crisp, crazy good ... and no goosh in sight! They stayed fresh for weeks after picking too, so they sat in my fridge at all times, ready to satisfy my crunchy cravings. Besides simply eating them raw, I’ve tried to incorporate them into dips like guacamole or experimental sauces for veggie burgers. The results weren’t awful, but not my most epic culinary moments. Frustration can be a cook’s best friend, though, as it once forced me to take several of my favorite ingredients and chuck them into a bowl of deliciousness that became the star of my cucumber sandwiches. I made them for a women’s meeting at church earlier this year, and when ladies ask for the recipe (which they did!), you know it’s a hit.

I used to make it with almond butter, but developed a nut allergy a few years ago (bogus!), so I swapped that out for soy butter. There are many options and alternative ingredients in this, but it’s always been really good. Here’s the recipe:

CUCUMBER SANDWICHES
1 one-pound container plain, unsweetened yogurt (can use soy yogurt or goat yogurt)
2 T. soy butter (can use almond butter, pecan butter or sesame tahini)
Half of one large cucumber, chopped (you’ll use other half to top sandwiches)
1/2 small onion, minced
1/2 cup celery, chopped fine
4-5 baby carrots, chopped fine
1/2 cup chopped kale
2 tsp. garlic powder
3-4 T. dill
2 tsp. sesame seeds
Juice from 1 lime
3-4 slices of your favorite 100% whole wheat or gluten-free bread
Options: Can add chopped broccoli sprouts, spinach, and even drained black beans for different textures.

Mix all ingredients except bread and unsliced half of cucumber, and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. When that's ready ... take one slice of bread and cut twice vertically, twice horizontally to form nine small squares of bread (as equal in size as possible). Do this to 2-4 slices of bread, depending on how many people you’re serving. Cut leftover half of cuke into semi-thin slices, and then quarter them (that is, cut each slice once vertically and then once horizontally, forming 4 small wedges).

Spoon a little yogurt mixture onto each piece of bread, top with a cuke wedge, and serve. The mixture can be served on additional slices of cucumber too, if bread is a no-no for you. This crunchy deliciousness is perfect finger food for a party or picnic, and kids love it too. Serves 6-10 ... or 1-2 for a few days.

Tell me how you like it. Enjoy and Veg appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment