Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Garden-fresh Smoothie?

I got this recipe from Giada De Laurentiis on a morning show, and it’s worth repeating. A basil smoothie? BASIL?! That so freaked me out, I just had to try it. The beauty of this smoothie is that it requires only four ingredients: yogurt, fresh basil, lemon, and sugar (or other natural sweetener). Warning: The basil turns the concoction mint green. After my first sip, I had a new favorite smoothie. Subtle yet potent ... beyond delicious!

You rock, Giada. Thanks for my new breakfast addiction! Here’s the recipe.

Basil Smoothie
1 cup plain, unsweetened yogurt (can also use goat or soy yogurt)
Big handful of fresh basil leaves (rinsed)
Juice from 1/2 fresh lemon
1-2 T. xylitol (or smidge of Stevia or other natural sweetener)

Blend all in blender (works great in the Magic Bullet) until smooth. I tweak the amounts of each to my taste. You may wish to add more lemon juice or more basil. Also, use less sweetener at first and then taste (can add more if needed).

It’s crazy good. Enjoy and Veg Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment