Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A Matter of Taste

I’ve always had a strange relationship with food. After getting popped by hot bacon grease as a kid, I got mad at the meat, swore off bacon, and never ate it again. A similar childhood story, involving clear gelatin-like fat globules on a sandwich, ruined ham for me as well. Then, there’s the salami story, and the chicken leg story, and ... see, I was destined to be vegetarian.

No adventurous eater even with fruits and vegetables, I didn’t try a strawberry until my college years. C’mon, those weird spots or seeds still look kinda freaky. But, while babysitting for health nuts who served fresh strawberries to their kids for dessert, I felt pressured to try one. Thank God too because I’ve loved them ever since. You’d think that experience would’ve cured my culinary caution, but no. I reached my 40s before giving guacamole a go, and I adore that too (sans tomatoes).

A few flavors I’ve loved since my youth: peach (although the fuzziness of the fruit weirds me out), zucchini (raw or in bread, yum!), and pumpkin (soup, bread or cookies, but not pie). I’ve become addicted to the savory, sweet spices that accompany pumpkin dishes--the cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove. Glorious! That brings me to this post’s recipe for delicious, nutritious pumpkin bread.

Pumpkin Bread
1 can 100% pumpkin
2/3 c. canola oil
3 eggs (or equivalent egg replacer)
3 T. water
1 c. spelt* flour
1 c. brown rice* flour
1 c. xylitol (or other natural sweetener, be careful with stevia--can get too sweet fast)
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
Several shakes of pumpkin pie spice (or shakes of cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, and ginger)
1/4 c. millet seeds (or chopped walnuts)
1/4 c. cranberries (can swap out for blueberry or pomegranate Craisins ... so good!)

*The gluten-tolerant may substitute the two specialty flours for 2 cups 100% whole wheat flour.

Mix wet ingredients (the first three) until blended. Mix all dry ingredients except millet (or nuts) and cranberries and stir into wet ingredients. Stir in millet and cranberries. Pour mixture into spray-greased pan (can top with chopped walnuts, if you like), and bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes (poke with fork every few minutes; when fork comes out clean, it’s done). Don’t over bake or bread will be dry. Delicious warm or chilled in fridge.

Enjoy and Veg Appetit!

1 comment:

  1. This is great! I have also been rather disgusted by some of my meat experiences, even though I haven't banned it all. But thankfully Gary is okay with fruit and veggie nights!

    I love the food that you bring to our women's nights. Thanks for sharing the recipes! BTW, do you have any recipes that require only 4-5 ingredients for the underachiever?

    ReplyDelete